[Fuglu-users] Message counting, example for tags, doc

Oli Schacher oli at fuglu.org
Wed Feb 28 17:54:26 CET 2018

Hi Péter

Am 28.02.18 um 16:50 schrieb Peter Laszlo Szabo:
> 1 - It would be perfect as a "policy enforcer". I mean, having a per
> month/day/hour/minute rate limit for a given sender or domain. Is there
> currently such a feature implemented? If not, maybe the Archive plugin
> is suitable for this to be extended?

A content filter is actually not the the best place to enforce
rate-limiting as it has to accept the full message from postfix first
before it can make any decision. For this kind of policy decision (in
addition to the builtin ratelimit features), postfix has a better suited
interface , see http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html . This
interface is much more lightweight/faster than a full SMTP session . You
may want to look at http://www.postfix.org/addon.html for policy filters
suiting your rate limiting needs.

That being said, it is certainly *possible* to perform rate-limiting in
fuglu, you'll find an experimental plugin for this here:
https://github.com/gryphius/fuglu-extra-plugins/tree/master/rate_limit

> 2 - The docs
> (http://gryphius.github.io/fuglu/plugins-index.html#plugins-included-in-fuglu)
> refers about plugins, what do you think about having a reference there
> on the "extra" plugins
> (https://github.com/gryphius/fuglu-extra-plugins/)? Or am i simply
> missing the reference?

Great suggestion! Added:
http://gryphius.github.io/fuglu/plugins-index.html#extra-plugins

> 3 - The docs says "Fuglu can be configured to treat outgoing mail
> differently. Can you please elaborate it a little? As far as i can
> understand, the only way to do is to match on the port fuglu accepted
> the incoming request, which is a tag in the message object, and a
> corresponding filter file needs to be created for this. Unfortunately i
> was not able to find an example of a filter rule dealing with a tag in
> the message object, just a mention of the "@" prefix to be used.

The example configuration on
http://gryphius.github.io/fuglu/configuration-index.html#postfix shows
how you can instruct postfix to route outgoing mails to a different
fuglu port (1099) than incoming mails (10025).

People usually then use the port to differentiate which plugins should
be removed from the chain. For example you might want to skip scanning
for spam for outgoing messages. The documentation of the "PluginSkipper"
plugin has an example how this filter is used:
http://gryphius.github.io/fuglu/plugins-index.html#plugin-skipper

"@incomingport 1099 SAPlugin"

Means: "read the tag 'incomingport'" (wich is automatically set by
fuglu), and if it matches "1099" (eg. an outgoing message) then do not
run the Plugin "SAPlugin".

Hope this makes things a little clearer!

Best regards
Oli